This meager, little post is simply about my new list of The Best Re-imaginings of Ancient Scandinavian Stories which is now available at Shepherd. Shepherd is a hip, young site that features lists of favorite books arranged according to a theme as chosen by individual writers themselves. It’s an interesting, new way to find books to read that relies more on recommendations by writers (of various degrees of establishment) rather than by algorithms or sponsored ads (you know who I’m talking about).
A number of good, relevant writers have already contributed their own lists to Shepherd and I’ll include some of them here. Happy browsing!
- The Best Books on Vikings, Their Humor, and Their World by Nancy Marie Brown, author of Song of the Vikings
- The Best Books about Norse Myths from Direct Sources by Jackson Crawford, Instructor of Nordic Studies and author of The Wanderer’s Havamal
- The Best Medieval Books about Viking Islands by Judith Jesch, Professor of Viking Studies and author of Women in the Viking Age
- The Best Books for Understanding the Vikings by Linnea Hartsuyker, author of The Half-Drowned King
- The Best Books on Vikings: Their Day-to-Day Life, Achievements, and Culture by Else Roesdahl, author of classic work, The Vikings
- The Best Books for Researching Vikings by Ian Stuart Sharpe, creator of the Vikingverse novels and games and co-author of Old Norse for Modern Times